Lately all Crow is doing is screwing around.

The Clipper 2B modified and updated. This is how we clean our grain. Does a pretty good job in a hurry.

September 15th and 16th – new moon – next year’s grain is sown over the stubble of this year’s wheat harvest then the field is mowed. On the last new moon, I sowed some ladino clover over the stubble which did not get rain for a couple of weeks so is just starting to come up. I’m trying to create a no till method but the fescue is persistent. The clover is supposed to help with that. I’ll frost sow some more clover in February.

The rye field. I sowed wheat here by hand. As I moved through the field, I realized that there was a huge amount of rye already growing there.

The rye coming up. At first I thought Paul’s combine was spilling a huge amount of grain but there was no evidence of this in the wheat field and the first thing I did when he started harvesting was check for spilled grain. Then Crow suggested that the rye shattered – that it was a little past the time it needed to be harvested and some fell out of the heads before it could get into the combine. If I’d figured this out before I sowed the field, I could have saved some time and a few bushels of wheat and just let the rye go. So now I’ll have a rye/wheat field. We’ll see what it looks like in the Spring.

September 18, 2012 – The winter garden coming up.

Will, a new helper, and Crow make adjustments and additions to the gantry crane. Oct. 14, 2012.

Oct. 16, 2012 – Will and Crow have opened the mill and prepare to clean it.

November 4, 2012 – All the metal is finally on the building. Crow is justly proud.

Getting a start on the gutters. It’s my plan to capture the runoff from this rather large roof in three places: just where you see the gutter end in this picture (the east end of the greenhouse), the west end of the greenhouse and the north side in one place at the northwest corner of the building. The two greenhouse locations are inside the building so they will store water for the greenhouse and provide some solar thermal storage for the building.

Finally a start on the greenhouse foundation. The trench sat empty and overgrown for 6 months.

Greenhouse foundation detail – trench with gravel, treated 2×8, concrete block, treated 2×8 held down by 12″ lagscrews.

Crow and Wil set the gantry trusses (Nov. 20, 2012).

Crow, in his usual self-effacing fashion, shows off the finished greenhouse foundation. In the background, the gantry roof has it’s first sheets of metal.

Greenhouse framing detail from above.

The first sheet of polycarbonate goes up on the greenhouse. This is Dec 13, 2013. About 50 today. Nice working weather and very similar to this time last year just before the drought hit.

Next day – further progress. Looks like we may actually get this done. The progress is slow because the sheets are slightly different widths and the edges must land on the middle of the trusses. So each truss is a custom installation.

For the second day the pond across the road is visited by an eagle. He is the dot on the branch above the round opening in the trees about in the center of the photo. He doesn’t let me get very close.

Here, if your eyes are very, very good, you can see him flying away in the center of the opening in the trees. His wing span is enormous. I would guess 6 feet.

December 16, 2012 – The greenhouse takes shape.

After an outrageous bid for the panel setup and one no show electrician, I decide to install the electrical myself.

Closeup of the panel. The device to the right of the panel is a controller for the 10 horsepower motor that will power the mill.

Dec. 20, 2012 – The weather has turned wintery.

Two inches of closed cell insulation has just been sprayed on by Nemow Insulation. I can’t recommend these guys highly enough. They are terrific. It’s rare these days you find someone willing to go the extra mile. These guys did it with a smile.

Rounding the corner with the trusses. I’m waiting for a day warm enough to work without gloves to cut and install the cross braces. This Sunday may be it. Meanwhile, there is chopping wood and drinking water.

Reinventing the venting. The original plan was to have a vent every other panel but in my excitement, I put up three panels without a vent. So we went back and removed the center panel and cut it for a vent. Here Gerald re-installs the top section. The middle section (between the cross supports) is the moveable vent. The top and bottom sections are fixed.